1.12.2012

Soda Pop Jelly

A friend of mine was recently telling me about a local farming family that makes and sells Mountain Dew Jelly at Eastern Market in Detroit. I’m not a Mountain Dew drinker, in fact, I’m not a big pop drinker (or “soda” for those of you not from the Midwest), but I was still intrigued by the idea of a jelly made out of Mountain Dew. What about jellies made out of other soft drinks? A root beer jelly? A Vernors jelly? Now those are jellies that I could get behind! So, I did a little research and, lo and behold, I discovered an Etsy seller (Angela Wilson) who produces a wide-range of pop-infused jellies! Among the flavors are root beer (yay!) and Coca-Cola, as well as Orange, Strawberry, and Pineapple Crush. To buy Angela’s  Soda Pop Jellies, click here. If you’re the adventurous type, and would like to try making some Mountain Dew Jelly in your own kitchen, you can find a recipe right here. {Thanks, Tom!}

Note: For those of you outside of the U.S., in the States the words "jelly" and "jam" are used interchangeably. In this case "jelly" does not refer to a solid wobbly thing, but to a spread, usually made with fruit.

2 comments:

Carmen said...

First I thought, how cool is that soda jelly, but then I read that it is actually jam and I was thinking, surely you can't spread that on toast. Looks really pretty though.

jelly wench said...

Jam is a spread containing crushed fruit. Jelly is made from fruit juice, or other liquid. The terms are not interchangeable. These items are jellies, not jams.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...